By Glenn Rea
The Cuero Record
History in Cuero gained another marker recently as Chisholm Trail Heritage Museum directors and DeWitt County Historical Commission members dedicated the Proctor-Green House marker at 307 North Terrell Street.
David Cogswell Proctor had relocated his law practice from Indianola to Cuero just five years before the devastating hurricane of 1886 that obliterated that seaport.
In 1892 he chose English architect John Hull to design his new residence, a two-story frame Queen Anne-style dwelling.
Proctor died in 1908 and the house sold to Judge John M. Green in 1911. He served as a district judge for 18 years. One of his sons, Howard, continued to live in the family home after his father’s death and retired as Chief Justice of the 13th Court of Civil Appeals, Corpus Christi, after 41 years.