County commissioner discusses school funding

Dear Editor,

Four easily verifiable facts and a cautionary warning.

Funds for Cuero ISD are based on a complex formula devised by the State to equalize funding for students in both rich and poor school districts. Prior to 2006 funding for our schools came from three sources. Federal funding provided 10% and the remaining 90% came equally from State and local property owners. In 2006 “School Finance Reform” was implemented which began to shift the burden away from the State and onto local property owners. Following are the facts that will explain why property taxes have risen in response to the reduction in funding by the state.

Fact 1: The State has reduced their portion of funding from 45% to 38%. Local funding has been forced to increase from 45% to 52% in order to maintain proper student-teacher ratios and basic school services.

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://www.etypeservices.com/The%20Cuero%20RecordID83/

DeWitt County Today

The Cuero Record
119 E. Main Street
Cuero, TX 77954

361.275.3464

 

Yorktown News-View
133 E. Main
Yorktown, TX 78164-0398

361.564.2242