• Article Image Alt Text

All the houses were painted white

By Glenn Rea

The Cuero Record

For local history lovers, a new book, “All the Houses Were Painted White,” is available that features 13 pictorial features of historic homes in Cuero. Emil Reiffert House, 1868/1887; David Cogswell Proctor House, 1893; J.L. Sheppard House, 1895; Edward Muegge House, 1875, and many more.

Many of the historic houses in and around Victoria were built between 1875 and 1910 by immigrant owners. From 1973 to 1975, with the support of a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, Rick Gardner traveled throughout the region, taking photographs of these historic homes. Gardner relied on his own instincts and guidance from Knowledgeable locals as to where he should aim his lens.

This book is an appreciative glimpse at what these vernacular houses looked like a century after their construction. Gardner has teamed up with Victoria historian and preservationist Gary Dunnam to present these rich along with brief historical sketches of the houses and, where possible, the persons who occupied them when they were newly constructed.

Read the full story in this week's edition of The Cuero Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe today.

DeWitt County Today

The Cuero Record
119 E. Main Street
Cuero, TX 77954

361.275.3464

 

Yorktown News-View
133 E. Main
Yorktown, TX 78164-0398

361.564.2242