Building fades, history remains

By Robert Proctor

The Cuero Record

Originally built as the McDonald Dry Goods Store in 1901, the old Thomaston Post Office has been through trying days. Most recently, Hurricane Harvey caused great damage to the building which has stood over a century.

The structure was built by Willam Elliott Collins and his son, Robert Thomas Collins. Henry Ferguson McDonald paid J.A. McMaster $500 for the lot.

Williams Collins was a carpenter and millwright, a skill passed down to his son.

William Collins’ great-granddaughter Sally Spencer resides in Cuero. Earlier this year, she researched the building while putting together information on the start of Thomaston.

Read the full story in this week's edition of The Cuero Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe.

DeWitt County Today

The Cuero Record
119 E. Main Street
Cuero, TX 77954

361.275.3464

 

Yorktown News-View
133 E. Main
Yorktown, TX 78164-0398

361.564.2242