DeWitt County Region IV Institute and Workshop
Mount Bethel Baptist Church played host to the DeWitt County Sunday School and Baptist Training Union Institute and Workshop from June 29-30. The event, dating back to 1901,currently consists of two-day sessions that include a Bible Institute, Evangelistic periods, departmental work, and training leaders as instructors. Saturday nights, as current Regional Coordinator Dea.
Robert Holman explained are used to train the youth as future workers to carry on the lessons. A history of the Institute by Dea. Robert Holman suggests that in 1901, the late Reverend W.M. Crawford assembled the delegates attending the Association in Hallettsville, Texas for the purpose of organizing, as it was known then, as a Bible Institute. Fifty members were present, and invoked God’s guidance through prayer, scripture reading and singing.
The idea of Sunday School work was introduced by the late Reverend W.S. Smith from Victoria, Texas, shortly after the first meeting in August of 1901. Soon, Victoria, Calhoun, Goliad, and Jackson County joined the Institute, having as many as 15 churches involved at one time.
Read the full story in this week's editon of The Cuero Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe today.