Yorktown man passes away from severe burns
Chad Broll, 42, of Yorktown died on Monday, July 1 from severe burns to over 70 percent of his body, according to DeWitt County Sheriff Carl Bowen.
Yorktown Volunteer Fire Department and the DeWitt County Sheriff’s Office responded to a fire at 3:30 a.m. on Thursday, June 20, at the White Top Motel, 436 E. Main, in Yorktown. The motel is a series of duplexes. Broll was in the room where the fire started. No other units were damaged in the fire.
The State Fire Marshal was called in to assist in the investigation of the fire and ruled out any use of accelerant; the fire appears to be accidental, according to Bowen.
“We obtained video surveillance that dismisses any criminal activity at the time of the fire,” Bowen said.
Bowen added: “We are sad to hear of the passing of Mr. Broll. We understand that this is a difficult time for his family. I’d like to acknowledge Yorktown EMS and Cuero Regional Hospital for their diligence and professionalism on the initial treatment of Mr. Broll.”